Hair Follicle Types & Structure
Hair shafts are divided into 3 categories:
1) Terminal Hairs
· Terminal hair is ‘healthy hair’
· These are the hairs visible on your scalp
· 60-84 microns in diameter
2) Miniaturized Hairs
· Miniaturized hairs are hairs from terminal hair follicles that have been affected by DHT, causing thinner hair shafts.
· 30-60 microns in diameter
3) Vellus Hairs
· Vellus hairs are fine, short and barely noticeable
· Less than 30 microns in diameter
“Dr André Nel is honest and very professional. In a world where so many are in it for the money, I was lucky to find Dr Nel. A surgeon with true skill and a man who keeps his promises." - Tim
The Most Important Hairs
For hair transplant surgery the Miniaturized and Vellus hairs are of no value at all.
We only use Terminal hair follicles for hair restoration because only hair shafts with ample caliber make an impact from an aesthetic point of view.